Beauty on a Budget: Simple, Inexpensive Solutions for Beauty Buys
Healthy, beautiful skin and hair often comes with a high price tag and the constant barrage of advertisements does nothing but confuse buyers and encourage spending. Fortunately, there are options that do not cost an arm and a leg, some that you already may have access to at home, that can help reduce the cost of beauty. You can make small changes that will put money back in your wallet.
Ten Beauty Tips to Consider
- Drink tons of water. It may seem like common knowledge but many women do not realize that they do not drink enough water. Summertime is the prime season for reminders that sunning outside or sweating in the gym can case our bodies to cry out for more water. It is the culprit of many common ailments such as headaches but also affects the condition of your skin. Stay hydrated and looking radiant by drinking 8-10 eight ounce glasses of water per day, or 4 of your standard water bottles.
- The twice a day routine of washing your face and neck can not only get expensive when using brand name cleansers and toners, but also can seem time consuming which may make you want to skip it. Cut time at the sink short by eliminating one of the “washes” with water and switch up your routine. You can find Witch Hazel in the first aid isle of almost every grocery or drug store and most women have cotton balls at home. Use a few cotton balls, rounds, or squares and a dab of Witch Hazel to clean off your makeup at night before bed. It is a faster way to clean skin and leaves you feeling refreshed.
- Another before bed routine that I’ve found works wonders is to put a bit of petroleum jelly on my eyelashes before bed. If you tend to rub your eyes in your sleep, like I do this eliminates lash breakage and the inevitable but accidental pulling out of lashes. You’ll notice that your lashes are fuller and longer because you are not damaging them at night. (This also is good for dryness or under eye circles that occur from allergies at night.)
- If your lips tend to be chapped or dry in the summer months, and easy way to get them feeling soft and plump is to brush them gently with your toothbrush in the morning when you brush your teeth. This works best with a soft or medium toothbrush. The effect is smoother and rosier lips that look great with a bit of gloss or sunblock chap stick.
- When your hair is unruly and you’ve got flyaways, try this tip for a quick fix. When you put lotion on your hands after washing, smooth your hair with the excess lotion or run your hands over the tips to bond strands. Not too much, of course, or you’ll end up with greasy looking hair.
- Tan skin, (from a spray of course) does not need as much makeup, so why not take advantage of the color by using less foundation. Apply your foundation sparingly in the summer, as a fresh look wins over a fully made up face when the temperature rises. Try using it only on the T-zone and under your eyes, keeping more in the bottle for when the weather cools off.
- Bothered by a heat induced pimple? Don’t dare squeeze it; sunscreen and sweat will only exacerbate the problem if the skin is broken. Ice the little bugger instead to reduce redness and swelling. Store bought products are great, but for a girl on a budget you can’t beat a little frozen water.
- Although high end moisturizers and creams are meant to do wonders, many of them do nothing more than your regular lotion. Try to stick with a fragrance, dye, and oil free moisturizer that is as simple as possible. I like Cetaphil, which is dermatologist recommended and comes in store brand (generic) as well. It can be used all over, even on your face, which saves a bundle.
- Eating healthy, balanced meals can greatly affect your skin tone, the plumpness in your cheeks, and how your skin feels to the touch. I know many of us diet to fit into our bikinis comfortably, but eliminating all fats from your meals causes sunken cheeks and dull skin. Be sure to fit healthy fats like fish and avocado into your diets to be sure your skin looks great while still minding your waist.
- Don’t smoke! There is no excuse that has not been said and now that we are in 2018, no one thinks smoking is cool. It sucks the life out of your body and face, creates wrinkles, and causes teeth yellowing. The physical damages to your appearance alone are reason enough to nix this bad habit.
One bonus tip for the busy woman who is trying to do it all: Get enough sleep. The number varies from woman to woman, but on average a woman need 7-8 hours to get the beneficial effects of sleep. By ensuring you have at least 7 hours of (hopefully) uninterrupted sleep, you will wake up looking bright eyed and under eye circles will be minimized. Therefore, less makeup will be needed in the morning.
Whether you are working with a shoestring budget or just like to keep things simple, the tips above are good to keep in mind. As the saying goes, sometimes less is more, as is the case of many of these beauty tips; your wallet and your cupboards will thank you for it.